So here I am... 22 months later attempting to obtain gainful employment and the only people willing to accept the risk of employing me are restaurants and volunteer organizations. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the organizations that I currently work with, they just don't pay the bills. And student loan debt is entering repayment.
Anyhow, the list of job applications happens to be endless and it seems that I have developed this highly contagious and fatal disease that would put anyone interested in hiring me in a very unstable and life threatening position. Not only is the job market already scarred from the economy but now I have to put the icing on the cake with a "conviction" on my record. I get a knot in my stomach every time I reach that line on an application that requires comment on criminal history. On paper I look good until a prospective employer reaches that ONE little line.
I can only imagine what must come to mind when they reach that line. What could they possible be depicting in their brains? Do they see me with dyed black hair, pale skin and combat boots? Wait, who actually has assault charges? Is it more of a trailer trash type image? Whatever it must be definitely taints any chance I have of reaching the interview process.
But moving on...
I had an amazing birthday two days ago. I couldn't be happier than I am now (including my state of employment)! Travis is a doll and bought me a pearl necklace and black diamond earrings!!! They are absolutely beautiful!
I happen to be in an airport right now waiting on a flight to Houston where I will accompany my family during my grandmother's surgery tomorrow. Scary, but necessary.
I must go!
No comments:
Post a Comment